Sheetz invests in its employees and promotes a company-wide effort to create a positive workplace.
Global research and consulting firm, Great Place to Work and Fortune Magazine have announced that Sheetz Inc. is one of the 2016 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For.
This list, now in its 19th year, recognizes companies that have exceptional workplace cultures.
Sheetz was selected among hundreds of companies vying for a place on the list this year. Applicant companies opt to participate in the selection process, which includes an employee survey and an in-depth questionnaire about their programs and company practices. Great Place to Work then evaluates each application using its unique methodology based on five dimensions: credibility, respect, fairness, pride and camaraderie.
Creators of the methodology behind the list, Great Place to Work has found that employees believe they work for great organizations when they consistently trust the people they work for, have pride in what they do and enjoy the people they work with.
“At Sheetz we have a commitment to investing in our people and we strive to achieve this by creating a great environment whether they work at the stores, the office or in the distribution centers,” said Joe Sheetz, CEO of Sheetz Inc. “Listening to our employees’ concerns and understanding what is important to them in a work environment is crucial to creating a culture that makes Sheetz a great place to work. The culture and environment at Sheetz is something we are really proud of, and we work hard to constantly improve the work lives of our employees. Recognition like this proves that a company-wide effort to build and nurture a positive culture is paying off.”
- Headquarters in Altoona, Pa.
- 520+ Convenience Stores
- Serving over 1.5 million customers every day
- 41 new and rebuilt stores in 2016
- Family Owned – 60 Year Anniversary in 2012
- On the Forbes list for 2015 America’s Best Employers
- Selected a Fortune Top 100 Best Places to Work in America 2014
- Selected a Fortune Top 10 Retailers to Work for in America 2015
- Selected one of the Best Places to Work in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia and North Carolina
- Selected Top 10 Most Innovative Quick Service Restaurants For the Decade
- Selected Top 25 Most Influential Retailers Worldwide of the Decade
- Convenience Store Chain of the Year/ Convenience Retailer of the Year
- Named number 70 in the Top 100 Retailers by Chain Store Magazine
- Locations in Six States: Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio and North Carolina
- Number 59 on the Forbes 500 List of Privately Owned Businesses in 2015
- 2015 Total Sales: Over $6.1 billion
- Over 16,500 total employees
- Employee bonuses paid in 2015: Over $52.2 million
Corporate Charities Supported:
- For the Kidz charity provided over $1.2 million in 2015 to ensure approximately 8,520 children in need have gifts at Christmas. Through this program, Sheetz Family Charities has helped more than 93,500 children since 1992 raising $21.6 million.
- Through Make-A-Wish, Sheetz For the Kidz sponsored 48 family trips to Walt Disney World each year. Since 2005, Sheetz has been able to grant 414 wishes!
- Special Olympics: Each year Sheetz donates more than $480,000 to Special Olympics. Sheetz was PA’s largest contributor as well as an inductee into the Special Olympics Hall of Fame.
- In addition, Sheetz donates millions of dollars in cash and products to worthwhile community endeavors each year.
- In fiscal 2018, Sheetz is projected to operate 600 stores; projected capital investment including new and rebuilt unit growth of 8% annually.
“Now more than ever, it is important for companies to prove they are great workplaces,” said Michael Bush, CEO of of Great Place to Work. “Top talent expects as much as they seek new opportunities, and customers are demanding it as well as they decide where to spend their dollars. The 100 best workplaces are at the top of the heap in demonstrating they have a high-trust, high-performing culture.”
Organizations named on the list see many benefits that include better financial performance, less employee turnover, higher levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty, more innovative and creative thinking, higher productivity and enhanced public perception.