A number of TravelCenters’ technicians competed at the TMC SuperTech competition, earning titles in 11 challenges.
TravelCenters of America LLC recently competed and dominated the competition with a record-breaking performance at this year’s TMC SuperTech. The TMC SuperTech is North America’s premier annual professional commercial vehicle technician skills competition.
Five technicians from TA Truck Service facilities throughout the U.S. earned titles in 11 hands-on skills challenges, swept first, second and third overall in the inaugural Trailer competition and won fifth overall in the SuperTech category. A TA Truck Service student technician also claimed a hands-on skill challenge title in the associated TMC FutureTech competition.
TA Truck Service earned the second highest combined titles as a company in the competition. These wins represent the commitment TA Truck Service has to seek to hire the best technicians and provide them with comprehensive training in order to have the best truck service maintenance and repair centers on the highway.
TMC SuperTech is an elite competition bringing the best truck service and repair technicians from U.S. original equipment manufacturers, trucking companies and repair facilities together to compete nationally. The two-day competition consists of written tests and hands-on skills challenges. Challenges are designed to help technicians improve their knowledge and skills, and winners are selected for each station, as well as overall top scorers.
Winners for the TMC SuperTech, including five TA Truck Service professionals with a combined 48 years of experience with TravelCenters and one student technician, were announced on September 21 in Raleigh, N.C. All five TA Truck Service technicians that won are ASE-Certified Master Technicians.
- Scott Davidson, TA Madison, Wisc.
- Trailers First Overall
- Trailer Brakes skills challenge champion
- Trailer Liftgates skills challenge champion
- Trailer ABS skills challenge champion
- Trailer Fasteners skills challenge champion
- Robert Anderson, TA Mobile, Ala.
- Trailers Second Overall
- Trailer Electrical skills challenge champion
- Trailer Tire/Wheel skills challenge champion
- Michael Kerfoot (Jr), Petro San Antonio, Texas
- Trailers Third Overall
- Trailer Coupler skills challenge champion
- Trailer Electrical System Corrosion skills challenge champion
- Mike Gavrielides, TA Madison, Ga.
- SuperTech Fifth Overall
- Wheel End One skills challenge champion
- Service Info skills challenge champion
- Justin Munoz, TA San Antonio, Texas
- Trailer 7 Pin Receptacle skills challenge winner
- Adam Sprock, TA Whitestown, Ind. (TMC FutureTech Competitor)
- Precision Measuring skills challenge champion
“I couldn’t be more proud of our techs who took part in, and won, these competitions,” shared Tom O’Brien, president and CEO of TravelCenters. “So much goes into constructing a successful truck service technician team, starting at the beginning with the recruitment process. Our extensive training program coupled with on-going mentoring builds strong quality technicians and this competition recognizes their hard work and dedication to our brand,” he added.
TA Truck Service technicians are distinguished by more than 2,000 ASE certifications. The TA Truck Service network includes 243 truck service facilities, 1,079 repair bays, nearly 3,000 technicians, a fleet of more than 1,600 RoadSquad Connect emergency roadside assistance vehicles and a growing fleet of RoadSquad OnSite mobile maintenance vehicles. TA Truck Service and RoadSquad services are available 24/7/365.
TA Truck Service centers are consistently Voted Best in annual independent driver surveys for Best Overall Maintenance Shops, Most Competent Technicians, Best PM and Lubrication Services and Best Roadside Assistance.