Enmarket is now the largest U.S. convenience store chain to adopt Skip Checkout technology, a mobile-based application that enables customers to scan and pay with their phones, therefore skipping checkout lines.
“Customers who have the free Skip Checkout app can scan their purchases with the lens on their phone, pay with the click of a button and flash their phone to the cashier on their way out the door, all without standing in line,” said Brett Giesick, President of Enmarket. “Even people who don’t use the app will benefit because this will speed up lines and enable our employees to work on even further improving the customer experience.”
Here’s how it works:
- Customers can download the Skip Checkout app for free from getskip.com or any preferred app store, create an account and link a payment card.
- When visiting an Enmarket store, once a customer opens the app and confirms their location as prompted, they’re ready to shop.
- Customers can scan the barcodes of items to add them to a shopping cart, where they will be stored until they’re ready to pay. Items such as fresh fruit or hot dogs that don’t have a barcode can be purchased through a pick-list in the app.
- Clicking the pay button completes a transaction and charges the card.
- On their way out of the store, Skip Checkout customers flash their phone to an employee at the cash register to show that they’re using the app.
“The process is smooth from start to finish, and the app is very easy to figure out how to use,” said Callie McIntosh, an Enmarket customer. “Enmarket has really made it convenient to get in and out quickly. I use it every time I check out, and I still get a friendly acknowledgement from the employees on my way out the door.”
The technology is available in all 124 Enmarket stores. Employees received training to prepare for the new technology. Employees are alerted every time a Skip shopper enters the store and when they have paid for their transaction. Age-restricted products such as beer may be scanned in the app, but those customers must still present their ID to the sales associate.
“Convenience to our customers is fundamental to our business model,” said Giesick. “By investing in the latest technology, we are able to enhance that convenience. Customers can get in, get out and get on their way even faster with Skip Checkout. We’re thrilled to introduce this innovative technology to consumers in our markets. It has been very well received by the customers and employees who have been a part of our initial test phase.”