7-Eleven’s 7-Eleven app, which runs the company’s loyalty rewards program, can now be used for its Mobile Checkout at 33 New York City stores.
“More people are on the go and looking for faster, easier ways to shop than ever before,” said Gurmeet Singh, executive vice president and chief digital, information and marketing officer at 7-Eleven. “7-Eleven continues to redefine convenience with frictionless experiences like Mobile Checkout. Our customers use their smartphone for all kinds of activities that save them precious time.”
7-Eleven piloted the function at locations in Dallas, Texas, in 2018.
Shoppers use their smartphones to scan and pay for items while they shop in store via their 7-Eleven app. The payment feature is integrated within the 7Rewards loyalty program, allowing customers to automatically earn and redeem any available 7Rewards loyalty program points or coupons with each use.
“Now with the Mobile Checkout feature, customers can control their entire 7-Eleven shopping experience,” said Singh. “Not only that, but customers can earn and redeem points on a variety of products when using Mobile Checkout.”
Although some items will still require a cashier, such as alcohol, tobacco and lottery tickets, the mobile checkout function on the app will work with any barcoded item in a participating 7-Eleven, the company said.
Scan & Pay Instructions:
- Update to the latest version of the app or download from Google Pay or the App Store to ensure it has the mobile checkout capability.
- If not already a member, register for the 7Rewards loyalty program.
- Open the app and tap “Start Scanning” on the home page.
- Customers must be within the geo-fenced area in or around a participating store for the shopping feature to appear.
- Using the guides on the phone screen, scan items with a bar code while shopping. Items are automatically added to the basket, along with any discounts or promotional pricing.
- Pay for purchases using Apple Pay, Google Pay or a traditional debit or credit card. Mobile checkout confirmation stations are located in-store with clear shopping bags.
- A QR code appears in the app once payment is made. Scan the confirmation QR code at the confirmation station and go. A tone lets the cashier know a customer has used the mobile pay feature to make a purchase.
Based in Irving, Texas, 7‑Eleven operates, franchises and/or licenses more than 68,000 stores in 17 countries, including 11,800 in North America.