President Donald Trump has said the federal government will soon announce a new strategy for underage vaping, saying “certain flavors” would be taken off the market “for a period of time.”
“We’re going to protect our families, we’re going to protect our children, and we’re going to protect the industry,” he said.
The Wall Street Journal reported that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would ban the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes, excluding tobacco and menthol.
In September, Trump and his top health officials said they would soon sweep virtually all flavored e-cigarettes from the market because of their appeal to young children and teens.
On Dec. 31, Trump said a ban of flavored e-cigarettes might be temporary.
“Look, vaping can be good from the standpoint — you look at the e-cigarettes, you stop smoking,” Trump told reporters during his New Year’s Eve party at Mar-a-Lago. “If you can stop smoking, that’s a big advantage. So, we think we’re going to get it back on the market very, very quickly.”
Starting in May, all e-cigarettes will need to undergo FDA review. Under the premarket tobacco product applications (PMTA) pathway, manufacturers must demonstrate to the agency, among other things, that marketing of the new tobacco product would be appropriate for the protection of the public health.
“People have died from this, they died from vaping,” Trump said. “We think we understand why. But we’re doing a very exhaustive examination and hopefully everything will be back on the market very, very shortly.”
Meanwhile, last week, the FDA officially changed the federal minimum age to purchase tobacco from 18 to 21, which applies to all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes and vaping cartridges. The provision came as part of a $1.4 trillion spending package signed by Trump on Dec. 20, which amended the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.