York County, Pa.-based Rutter’s donated more than $8,100 to The Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon, otherwise known as THON, a yearlong fundraising effort for pediatric cancer research.
The money donated to THON and the Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital were collected from customers at each of Rutter’s 60 stores through Rutter’s Charity Canister program, as well as proceeds donated from the Rutter’s Children’s Charities annual golf outing.
Rutter’s customers can contribute to Rutter’s Charity Canister program by dropping money into the canister at each register. The charity to benefit from the donations changes each month. The generosity shown by Rutter’s customers has amounted to more than $30,000 in donations to Central Pennsylvania children’s charities since Rutter’s began the canister program in 2008.
The Rutter’s Children’s Charities annual golf outing, held annually in April, has raised more than $1 million for local children’s charities since its beginning in 2003. This year’s outing will be held April 27 and 28 at the Out Door Country Club in York, Pa.
Rutter’s can trace its roots back to 1747, when Andrew Rutter was deeded 376 acres of farmland in York County, Pa. from Springetts Penn, the great grandson of Pennsylvania’s founder, William Penn. In 1921, Rutter’s sold their first quart of milk from a horse-drawn carriage. Today, under the family’s third generation of leadership, Rutter’s Dairy products are available across the Mid-Atlantic region and Rutter’s Farm Stores operates 60 convenience stores throughout central Pennsylvania with Scott Hartman as president and CEO, Todd Rutter as president of Rutter’s Dairy and Tim Rutter as president of M&G Realty.