Big Red Inc. plans to reach a new, larger demographic than before by targeting college football fans.
XYIENCE, a zero calorie energy beverage, has re-launched under new ownership. The new owner is Austin, Texas-based Big Red Inc.
Along with new ownership, the re-launch features a new look for the energy beverage brand and the roll out of a marketing campaign leveraging college football.
XYIENCE’s college football-led marketing efforts will feature in-store and online promotions, experiential activations and a television commercial starring the brand’s new spokesperson, ESPN “College GameDay” reporter Samantha Ponder. The television spot will debut Sept. 7 during the nationally televised prime-time college football game on ESPN.
“As a new mom with a busy work and travel schedule, I used to rely on high calorie lattes to get me through the day. That’s why partnering with XYIENCE is the perfect fit for me. No sugar, no calories and it genuinely tastes great! XYIENCE gives me the energy I need to be the best wife, mom and broadcaster I can be,” said Samantha Ponder, reporter for ESPN “College GameDay.”
With today’s re-launch, XYIENCE shifts its positioning to focus on the brand’s taste and exclusively zero calorie flavor portfolio in an effort to appeal to older Millennial consumers (ages 27-37), a segment that is increasing its consumption of energy beverages according to 2015 Mintel data.
“XYIENCE is targeting the older millennial consumer that grew up during the energy drink boom and now drinks more energy beverages, especially zero calorie products, to keep up with everyday life,” said Gary Smith, CEO of Big Red, Inc. “We believe that college football will appeal to a more mainstream audience and soften the brand’s extreme image associated with its former sponsorship of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.”
Components of the XYIENCE re-launch include:
- A refreshed brand identity, including a bold, clean can design, a new logo and power surge icon
- Signing of a new spokesperson, ESPN “College GameDay” reporter Samantha Ponder
- A national television commercial starring Ponder that will debut Sept. 7 and air throughout the fall during nationally televised college football games and ESPN ”College GameDay”
- A digital marketing campaign and social media sweepstakes that will award the grand prize winner a meet-and-greet with Ponder at college football’s biggest game in Arizona
- In store point-of-sale pieces featuring Ponder and national sweepstakes promotional messaging
- Experiential marketing and sampling activations at some of the nation’s largest college football tailgating destinations
Launched in 2006, XYIENCE will now offer eight zero calorie flavors: Cherry Lime, Mango Guava, Frostberry Blast, Blue Pomegranate, Cran Razz, Fruit Punch, Tangerine and Melon Mayhem.